Hosting David Macinnis Gill at School, Library, and Other Events
You can reach David directly by using the contact web form on this website or via email at thunderchikin at me dot com. Or if you would rather work through David’s publisher, you can use the HarperCollins website’s info page about author visits.
David does two types of visits–Skype and in-person.
For visits of one hour or less, David donates Skype time to school and libraries, so the visit is free. He generally does a short intro to his work and then answers questions from students/teens. He can also sing, but that’s not really a good idea.
David is happy to visit your school or library or appear in your events. As a former high school teacher, he’s especially comfortable speaking to teens. Also, it helps the audience get more out of the visit if they have read David’s work in advance (it gives everyone something to talk about besides David’s terrible fashion sense).
Types of Appearances:
- Full Day (up to 7 hours)
- Full day visits three daytime events for teens and adults. Typical events include:
- Auditorium speech/reading and Q&A sessions– 45 to 90 minutes
- Classroom presentations — 30 to 50 minutes
- Writing workshops for classes (works best for 10-30 participants) — 60 to 90 minutes
- Library presentation — 45 to 90 minutes
- Lunch and dinner are not considered “events.” David is happy to join your students and faculty for lunch and/or dinner on full days.
Half-Day (up to 3.5 hours)
- Half-Day events include the writing workshop for classes (works best for 10-30 participants) for 60 to 90 minutes AND one of the following:
- Library presentation — 45 to 60 minutes
- Auditorium reading and Q&A sessions– 45 to 60 minutes
David’s Travel Needs:
David packs light and travels easily. He brings his own AV equipment (except for a microphone) and doesn’t ask for special accommodations or meals (The only thing he can’t eat is onions (he doesn’t like them, and they don’t like him)). He would prefer:
- A hotel with Internet and a non-smoking room. Please send him the name/contact info of the hotel in advance, as well as the confirmation number if you book the room.
- Transportation to and from sites for the visit.
- The name of a local host and an emergency contact number, just in case
- Tips for Author Visits:
- David’s Publisher, Greenwillow Books/HarperCollins has an excellent website with tips for arranging author visits and requesting authors here.
FAQ @ Expenses:
If your school lacks the funds to host an author. Consider splitting the cost with another organization. David is willing to split time between school systems, libraries, etc.
Hosting an author usually means you will incur three expenses: hotel charges, airfare, and the honorarium. David’s honorarium is negotiable depending on travel time, and payment is expected at the close of the visit. Travel expenses (hotel and air) can be paid directly by the host or via reimbursement. Please tell David which method you prefer. Reimbursement is expected within thirty days.
If you have any questions, please contact David at thunderchikin AT gmail.com or via the Contact web form or contact HarperCollins via their website above.